These could be made to look more like little ghosts - I admit they're a poor effort on my part but I've been almost too busy this weekend for any Halloween cooking. I've been camping out at the marina again... In other words, devoting a lot of my Saturday and Sunday to go get my toes wet and hang around boats. I'm positive I'll end up with trenchfoot one day, the amount of time my feet spend in waterlogged wellies!
These little cuties are simple to make, and barely take any time at all. And you can even use the cocoa powder afterwards to make yourself a nice, warm hot choccie, and snuggle up on the sofa with it and one your Halloween cupcakes! Perfect for those cold nights in.
What you'll need...
125g caster sugar
75g plain flour
35g self-raising flour
1 tbsp vanilla extract
25g cocoa powder
100g plain yoghurt
For the marshmallow topping...
125g caster sugar
60g golden syrup
2 egg whites
Bag of dessicated coconut
Whack the oven up to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 to preheat
MAKES EIGHT CUPCAKES
1. Sieve the two flours, and the cocoa powder, and put them together in a bowl.
2. In a seperate bowl, cream the margarine/butter so it is soft, then add the caster sugar and cream the two together so the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Whisk in the egg gradually, add to the butter and sugar mix bit by bit. If the mixture looks like it is about the curdle, add in a tiny bit of the flour mix.
4. Fold in the flour mix gradually.
5. Then add the yoghurt. Make sure it is mixed in well.
6. Spoon the mixture into the cake cases - fill them until they are just over half full.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
8. Take out to cool. Whilst the cakes are cooling down, you can begin to make your marshmallow topping!
9. Pop the caster sugar in a saucepan with the golden syrup and heat until it comes to the boil. Leave this on for about 5 minutes.
10. Whilst it is boiling, whisk the egg whites on a high setting until they stand in peaks.
11. Still whisking the mixture, slowly add the syrup mix.
12. Keep whisking for about 10 minutes, until the topping mixture is stiff.
13. Now decorate your cupcakes! Put the marshmallow topping on with a spoon, layering it in blobs. Then sprinkle on some of the dessicated coconut. (You can make little ghost eyes by putting two strands of chocolate sprinkles on.)
They're like little ghouls! Tasty too.
Big love, and good luck with your Halloween costumes! xo