a blog about an Essex girl living in Swansea, chatting about baking, rowing, other bits and bobs, and some crazy teaching times in India

Monday 12 November 2012

Remembrance Day, a day late

Lest we forget.

Remembrance Day is so important in our history, it is entrenched in our calendar and our culture to remember those that fought for us in the many wars our country has participated in. I'd like to take this day to remember someone who was very special to me - who is still very special to me. He holds a place in my heart still, and if I'm being honest, I haven't completely accepted that he is gone. My lovely Grandad, my mother's father, who lived a fabulously long life, and hopefully was super proud of all of his achievements.

This man was brilliant. He served his Queen and country, working during the Second World War, and he had even worked as a guard for Buckingham Palace. Sadly, later in life, he suffered from an accident at work where hot liquid rendered his leg permanently in a dressing. Despite this, he never complained about it. I never heard him complain. He had a lovely wife who I never had the fortune to meet, but my Mum has talked about her... That's my Mum's mother. His first wife died. Then a daughter who could sometimes be a bit bossy and concerned, but was only wishing for the best for him (a bit like me, I sometimes think). Then three grandchildren. I hope you're proud of us now, Grandad.

I love you.



Lest we forget. I will always remember you, Grandad. I hope you're smiling down at me from heaven.

Big love, and big love to those that will never be forgotten, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment